Sunday, July 15, 2018

A List of Mystery Book Titles


I temped at Barnes and Noble this week, scanning books on the shelf to see which needed to be taken down. The second section I scanned was Mystery, which provided me with a bevy of hilarious titles of food-, animal- and even holiday-related mysteries. I wrote down dozens of the titles and offer them here for your consideration:

Food-related Mysteries
Truffled to Death
The Long Quiche Goodbye
Behind Chocolate Bars
Assaulted Caramel (Yes. I say “yes” to this.)
Another One Bites the Crust
Til Death Do Us Tart
Fudge and Jury (I would’ve gone all the way with this one: Fudge, Jury and Confectioner.)
Crust No One
Live and Let Chai (my personal motto)
Arsenic and Old Cake (I’m building to something here.)
A Sheetcake Named Desire (A mere appetizer before the main course.)
Survival of the Fritters (Wait for it.)
The Silence of the Flans (Voila! I’m pretty sure “flan” is pronounced with a long “a,” so it doesn’t really rhyme with “lamb,” but you’ve gotta admire the effort, the sheer chutzpah of this title.)
Pies and Prejudice
Meet Your Baker
A Crime of Passion Fruit
A Roux of Revenge
Dial M for Mousse
Éclair and Present Danger
Pudding Up with Murder (Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!)
Cheddar Off Dead
Butter Off Dead (the inferior version of the previous pun)
Topped Chef (I’ve never seen Top Chef, but I’m glad it exists just for enabling this pun to exist.)
Bewitched, Bothered and Biscotti (A strange Venn diagram of fans of food-related mysteries and classic musical theater. Well, maybe not that strange.)
Scam Chowder
The Tell-Tale Tarte
A Brew to a Kill (easily the worst James Bond film)
The Wurst is Yet to Come
Clam Wake
Biscuits and Slashed Browns (This is a reach.)
Lethal Licorice
Death is Like a Box of Chocolates (I can just hear Forrest Gump saying that, and it feels me with great mirth.)

Book-related Mysteries
Bookmarked for Death
Book Clubbed
Chapter and Hearse

Animal-related Mysteries
Gone Gull (A take-off on Gone Girl, I assume.)
Die Like An Eagle (The Steve Miller Band parody no one dared imagine.)
A Hiss Before Dying (about cats, natch)

Holiday-related Mysteries
Cinco de Murder (Just beautiful on so many levels.)
Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen
Hark the Herald Angels Slay

Miscellaneous Pun Mysteries
Dead, Bath and Beyond
This Old Homicide (for fans of classic PBS home renovation show-related murder)
Cancelled by Murder (I don’t know what this is related to. Parties, maybe? I just thought it was absurdly limp. Ya couldn’t even go with Cancelled Due to Murder?)

Then there’s Joanne Fluke. She just uses desserts for her book titles and adds “murder.” So, at this point, she has associated pretty much every dessert in the Western canon with murder. It’s pretty lazy compared to the authors who bothered to come up with puns, but I found the sheer volume hilarious. I had no idea desserts could be so deadly (Death by Chocolate notwithstanding). To wit: 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
Blueberry Muffin Murder
Cinnamon Roll Murder
Apple Turnover Murder
Peach Cobbler Murder
Strawberry Shortcake Murder
Cream Puff Murder
Raspberry Danish Murder
Banana Cream Pie Murder
Lemon Meringue Pie Murder
Key Lime Pie Murder
Blackberry Pie Murder
Carrot Cake Murder
Devil’s Food Cake Murder
Cherry Cheesecake Murder
Fudge Cupcake Murder
Red Velvet Cupcake Murder
Double Fudge Brownie Murder
Gingerbread Cookie Murder
Christmas Caramel Murder
Candy Cane Murder
Wedding Cake Murder

Not surprisingly, she also has a cookbook, which I assume only has dessert recipes based on her book titles. There were a few books at the end of her section with more conventional mystery titles, which were just as funny to me. They included Deadly Memories, Vengeance is Mine and Fatal Identity.

Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed this tour of the Har Mar Barnes and Noble Mystery section as much as I did.

No comments: